Modern slavery exists here in the UK. Men, women and children – UK nationals and those from abroad -are exploited in the sex industry, through forced labour, domestic servitude in the home and forced criminal activity. Modern slavery has been identified in Nail Bars, Brothels, Car Washes, Massage Parlours and rural businesses. Modern Slavery often involves human trafficking. Traffickers and slave masters use whatever means they have at their disposal to coerce, deceive and force individuals into a life of abuse, servitude and inhumane treatment.
Indicators of Modern Slavery:
- Victims may show signs of physical or psychological abuse, look malnourished, unkempt, withdrawn
- May seem under control of others, not travel alone, rarely interact or appear unfamiliar with the neighbourhood
- May be living in dirty cramped conditions
- May have no identification documents, few personal possessions, wear the same clothes everyday
- May have to be dropped of or picked up for work on a regular basis either very early or late at night
- May appear frightened or hesitant to talk, avoid eye contact
Government guidance on Victims of Modern Slavery is designed to help staff identify and help potential victims of modern slavery (including human trafficking) in England and Wales. It reflects relevant provisions of the Modern Slavery Act 2015 and the Human Trafficking and Exploitation (Criminal Justice and Support for Victims) Act (Northern Ireland) 2015. If staff suspect a person is a potential victim of modern slavery due to human trafficking in any part of the UK (or slavery, servitude, or forced or compulsory labour in cases identified in England or Wales) they must consider a referral into the national referral mechanism (NRM).
Partners in Cheshire have worked together to develop a Pan Cheshire Modern Slavery Strategy which will underpin the collaborative approach to addressing this growing crime over the next two years. The strategy is a joint initiative between partners from the Local Safeguarding Children Boards and Local Safeguarding Adult Boards in Cheshire.
In conjunction with the Strategy, the Local Safeguarding Children Boards across Cheshire have developed a Pan Cheshire Child Trafficking Protocol which outlines the action that professionals should take if they are concerned that a child has been, or is at risk of being, trafficked.
If you are concerned that an adult or child is a victim of Modern Slavery please call 08000 121700 or Crime Stoppers on 0800 555111