Social care lead agency is the lead agency for children.
Provision of services or intervention are provided through either:
- Child in Need Plan (Section 17) N.B Carers consent is required for CIN Plan.
- Child Protection Plan (Section 47)
- Care, Health and Education Plan
- Care Leaver Pathway Plan
The Child/Children is in need of social work led assessment and involvement because there is a risk of significant harm to a child if support is not provided.
- Children considered at risk of significant harm from neglect or from sexual, physical or emotional abuse (S47)
- Children subject to a Child Protection Plan (S47)
- Children who require support from social care under S17 (Consent required for CiN).
- Children subject to care proceedings (S31)
- Children accommodated under Section 20
Examples of Indicators at this level (this list is not exhaustive)
The Child/Children is in need of statutory services or protection from harm such as:
- Children regularly witnessing domestic abuse or occasional severe domestic violence. Parental capacity to change and/or protect is lacking, or disguised compliance is suspected
- Persistent indicators of neglect and despite support, parents lack the capacity and motivation to make the necessary changes and maintain this.
- Household members/regular visitors considered to pose a risk of abuse to children
- Children at risk of sexual abuse or exploitation (evidence of forcing or grooming)
- Children whose sexualised behaviour poses a risk of harm to others (i.e. other children)
- Unborn child’s safety/health/ development may be at risk – i.e. Pre-birth assessment required
- Children experiencing crisis likely to result in family breakdown
- Parents have mental health, substance/ alcohol dependency problems that compromise their ability to parent to a ‘good enough’ standard
- Child has acute developmental/emotional needs that need specialist assessment or support
- Parents refuse essential assessments or are unable to recognise their children’s needs and obstruct or do not cooperate with early support and other services
- Repeated missed appointments for essential health services for a child that will result in suffering or the child’s needs escalating